St. Elmo Baptist Church began its spiritual roots on the corner of 1601 Monroe in the spring of 1921 with Rev. Houston as the Pastor. Since that season, this ‘Lighthouse’ has been led by Rev. Fletcher, Rev. Wilson, Rev. Pursley, Rev. Cooper, Rev. Caldwell, Rev. Sadberry, Rev. Jones, Rev. Block, Rev. Sanders, Rev. Howard, Rev. Haynes, Rev. Crump, Rev. Martin, Rev. Guest, and since spring 2000, Rev. David Cavitt, Sr. has been leading the ‘church to greater heights.’
From 1921 to 2013, St. Elmo has been a spiritual training camp for saints. Numerous ministers have been filled with the Holy Spirit, and accepted their calling to preach salvation. Being in a military community, many of these ministers have been relocated and the ministry of this lighthouse is reflected all over the world today. Deacons have been ordained to do a mighty work for the Lord. Musicians and choir directors received their humble beginnings here, moved on, and have spread the gospel through music in many different ministries.
St. Elmo has been the spiritual birthplace for saved lawyers, teachers, military personnel, state/federal workers, all making a spiritual impact on the lives of thousands of people.
This loving sanctuary has known joy, sorrow, hurt, good times, bad times, and through it all, the members have learned to trust in Jesus. One thing has remained consistent for 85 years: saints grow spiritually at St. Elmo Baptist Church.
Our task as members of St Elmo today is to glorify God, no matter the circumstances. As members, ‘Continue on in Faith, and not by what you see. Walk in love. Walk in hope. Walk in peace. Walk by FAITH!